About the Role
Our business is growing, and the solutions we deliver are becoming increasingly sophisticated and complex. We are therefore looking to grow our team of Technical Consultants.
The applicant is expected to consult with the customer to recommend server specifications and to stipulate prerequisites for the packaged applications to run successfully.
He/she will assist with preparing the customer's environment for the installation of the packaged software, and will work alongside customer staff to carry out the installation of the packaged software, document the environment, hand over the completed installation, and secure sign-off.
In addition, the applicant will be expected to work within the support department offering both 1st and 2nd line support to customers.
The role is based in our Leeds office, but the successful candidate may on rare occasion (perhaps once per month) be required to travel to customer site. A car allowance is provided, and business mileage and out of pocket expenses are reimbursed in line with company policy.
Knowledge and Experience
The key focus of the job is installation, upgrade and ongoing support and maintenance of packaged business applications for our customers. This requires a good mix of technical knowledge, business understanding, and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will have experience of installing and supporting packaged business applications for end users, ideally covering functionality such as ERP, Financial Management, Procurement, Performance Management, and/or Business Intelligence. Specific knowledge of any of the business applications we sell would be a definite advantage, but is not essential as training will be provided.
A good working knowledge of server, desktop, network operating systems, and thin-client technologies is important. The applicant is expected to be competent in the installation, configuration and troubleshooting of these systems.
Microsoft SQL Server is at the foundation of the applications we sell and support, and therefore good working knowledge and experience is required. This includes the installation, configuration and management of SQL Server environments along with knowledge of deploying and supporting applications based on SQL Server. The applicant is also expected to be able to understand, adapt and run SQL scripts and have a working knowledge of SQL Server Reporting Services.
Any knowledge of Microsoft SQL programming, VB.Net, VB6 or ASP would also be extremely beneficial, but not essential. Likewise any working knowledge of virtualisation and SAN technologies would also be beneficial.
In summary, knowledge and skills are expected in the following key areas
* Installation and support of packaged business applications for end users
* Installation and management of Windows desktop and server operating systems
* Management of Citrix and/or RDS deployments
* Management and use of Microsoft SQL Server
About the person
The successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills, and will demonstrate the following key attributes
* Have an analytical approach to problem solving
* Be highly IT literate and lead in the adoption of new technologies
* Understand the difference between effort and outcome
* Be able to work in a high-pressure environment and prioritise tasks on a daily basis
* Have excellent time management
* Have a strong client focus
* Be comfortable when challenged by others
* Be able to challenge others with tact and courtesy
* Be able to set (and manage) realistic expectations
* Be fearless
* Have strong negotiation skills
* Be a natural, easy communicator and trainer
* Be a self-starter - able to motivate him/herself
* Have a large reserve of initiative to think around, through or past the many obstacles
* Be able to manage competing priorities and deliver successful outcomes
* Be able to effectively distribute and delegate work, avoiding tasks best left to others
* Know his/her own limitations and have the confidence to ask for assistance